Monday, September 23, 2013

Kickoff!!


I am not a football fan so, the title of this week's post should get me an extra point. Maybe it could be considered a field goal?! Last week was the kickoff of the 1:1 Laptop Initiative at DRFS. It was a great week. I even got to teach Digital Citizenship to some of my former students. So, here is a recap of the week’s lesson.

Digital Citizenship is how we relate to others online. It is what we do with digital media. Digital media is electronic devices and media platforms such as computers, cell phones, video, the Internet, and video games that allow users to create, communicate, and interact with one another or with the device or application itself.

We discovered that we can be both digital consumers AND producers. We also learned that digital responsibilities belong to everyone.

The lesson ended with students writing a simile. One student went beyond the simile and wrote a brief response to the lesson.

               My digital life is like a river. It flows constantly because I move from one subject to the next. It could be games, videos, text messages or phone calls. But I believe that my digital life is controlled. It does not interfere with my real life. It has never interfered with school nor has it taken time away from my family. I control my digital life, I don’t let it control me.

---- Michael Nicholl

 

For more information and lessons about Digital Citizenship check out Common Sense Media.

 
--- IT Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment